Use only the best standby generators for either your home or office. You’ll never know when an emergency will happen or when a need for a generator will arise. What’s important is to be prepared when it happens.
During power outages, generators prove to be useful in providing backup power. Which is why as early as now, you should treat generators as an investment for the future. For starters, there really is not much difference between a portable versus a standby generator.
Portable generators are usually either inverted or gas powered. They are also known to be compact in size, lightweight and very quiet. On the other hand, standby generators should be more powerful.
Thus, similar to the conventional type, they tend to be heavier and bulkier. They are usually soldered or nailed to one place in your home, thus the name “standby”. The best standby generator brand might not necessarily be the best standby generator for home use.
So today, we will be discussing everything you need to know about standby generators this 2018! From mini buying guides to product reviews, we’ve got you. Please stay tuned for more details.
- Best Standby Generators Review
- Essential Home Power Only (14 kW and less)
- Home Backup Power (16 to 20 kW)
- Commercial Backup Power/Larger Homes (20 kW and above)
- To Top It All Off
Best Standby Generators Review
Listed below are the top three products we’ve chosen for different standby generator categories. We have top standby generators for essential home power, home backup power and larger home or commercial backup power.
Without further ado, here are some of the best standby generators this 2018:
Essential Home Power Only (14 kW and less)
1. Briggs & Stratton 40445 8000-watt Home Standby Generator System with 50-Amp Automatic Transfer Switch
For this category, we have Briggs & Stratton’s 40445 as our first product. One of its strengths would be its Quick Response feature. This feature makes it possible for the generator to automatically power your home, seconds after sensing a power outage.
- It turns on and/or off automatically as needed. It also included a flexible and weather resistant Transfer Switch you can literally just “plug and play”. This propane powered generator weighs a total of 252 lbs.
- Moreover, this model is tested and has passed the NFPA 37 standard. All in all, you get a compactly designed generator that can give you wide range of placement options. All while being among the most powerful units of its kW class at 8000 watts.
- The best part is that it comes with a Three Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty.
- However, you might have issues with the installation and installation costs. This is most especially important if you’re following a tight or specific budget.
- The installation costs can get pretty pricey since this model doesn’t come with an installation kit, cables and/or the like.
Second in this category would be a Briggs & Stratton as well. However, it is in the 40375 model. It is a 10kW generator in gray. It makes use of the commercial-grade Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engines.
- It utilizes a Symphony II Power Management System, making it possible for you to meet all your power needs at home while saving money. It also features a Transfer Switch that is rated for both indoor and outdoor use.This can help you cut on installation costs and save money.
- But most importantly, similar to the first Briggs & Stratton generator, it also comes with a warranty. The difference is, you get a comprehensive 5-year parts and labor limited warranty. It is definitely a good bargain for a standby generator.
- Although it would be very important to note that it can get a little too pricey. As is, this model is significantly more expensive than the previous model, excluding installation costs. So, if you’re on a tight budget, you might be a little wary of this model’s price. Other than this, you get what you pay for, should you decide to buy this model.
Lastly, we have the Kohler 14RESAL-200SELS 14000 watt Air-Cooled Standby Generator. Its air cool feature makes it less susceptible to overheating. And similar to our first product, it also automatically powers up your home 10 seconds after detecting a power outage.
- It features an automatic transfer switch both indoor and outdoor. As for safety, this model is CARB compliant and is protected by a 100% corrosion-proof enclosure. The generator brand prides itself to withstand even the harshest seaside conditions.
- But most importantly, it comes with a 5-year/2000-hour limited warranty to ensure you of your money’s worth. With less than 5% of total harmonic distortion and quiet operation, you’ll definitely get a good deal with Kohler’s 14RESAL-2000SELS model.
- Though like any other devices, you are bound to encounter some issues with this model as well. For instance, you might find that the replacement costs for the generator’s parts can be a bit too pricey.
- Quality control depending on the supplier might also pose an issue for you.
Home Backup Power (16 to 20 kW)
1. Briggs & Stratton 40484 20000-watt Home Standby Generator System with 150-Amp Automatic Transfer Switch
- Just like most if not all Briggs & Stratton generators, this model also features Quick Response and Flexible Replacement. Meaning, it automatically sets off after detecting a power outage. It’s also been tested by the NFPA 37 standard.
- Thus, you’re rest assured that it is safe to be as close as 18″ from your home, highly ideal for tight lot lines. The included transfer switch is flexible and weather resistant as well.
- But what might seal the deal would be the Four Year Limited Warranty consisting of parts and labor for all 4 years.
- Though you might encounter manufacturer or distributor issues such as a missing transfer switch, especially if you bought the transfer switch bundle.
- This model features installation friendly parts such as removable door panels. It includes a base pad that needs minimal ground preparation only and wiring techniques that are effort and time efficient.
- The Mobile Link cellular monitoring system is also a popular feature among the Guardian Series models. This feature makes it possible for the users to monitor the status of their generators wherever they are.
- But most importantly, your standby generator is protected by Generac’s 5-year limited warranty. So, you are rest assured of your money’s worth.
- However, you might find the circuit breakers in the transfer switch lacking.
Last in this category would be Generac’s 7041 Synergy Model. It is the usual air-cooled home standby generator but with variable speed. The G-Flex Technology is what allows for a variable operation based speed in the 7041 Synergy. This also means that you can save energy, money, and power since there will be no excess produced output. It only produces what is needed.
- It is also quieter compared to the conventional, loud generators with only less than 2% of total harmonic distortion.
- This will give you a clean power that’s well suited even for sensitive devices. Charge your laptops, phones and other sensitive devices with no worries.
- It also features the Evolution Controller and a sturdy all-weather aluminum enclosure with 3 removable sides.
- The battery is sold separately.
Commercial Backup Power/Larger Homes (20 kW and above)
For home backup power, we have Generac’s 7043 from the Guardian Series. This standby generator features a True Power Technology. This makes it possible for Generac 7043 to deliver quality power with only 5% total harmonic distortion.
- Rest assured that you will have a smooth operation for your sensitive electronics and appliances. It also includes a NEMA 3 indoor and outdoor rated whole house smart transfer switch.
- The Evolution Controller feature of Generac 7043 also makes it a very competitive standby generator. With its LED indicator, you can now monitor generator status, utility power presence and maintenance required.
- And last but not the least; it is protected with by sturdy all-weather aluminum enclosure with 3 removable sides. This makes it very convenient for installation, service, and maintenance.
- The battery is not included. Unfortunately, the Generac battery model 5819 is sold separately. You might find this a bit of a bother since the battery is not quite as good and needs to be replaced often.
Next, we have the Generac 7040 Synergy. Similar to the previous Generac products that we’ve listed, it also has the G-Flex Technology and an all-weather aluminum enclosure. The 200 Amp NEMA 3 indoor/outdoor whole house smart transfer switch is also present.
- This model comes with a 5-year limited warranty. As usual, the battery is not included and the Generac battery model 5819 is sold separately. So, you might want to consider this if you’re not prepared to buy a new replacement battery every now and then.
- Nevertheless, you still get a good deal as it is speed variable and air cooled. This means this standby generator is less susceptible to overheating, overloading and overworking, thereby lessening the possibility of engine damage.
- Power is also not compromised by its high wattage and compact design. Despite the battery issue, know that you will be getting a fair and good bargain with Generac’s 7040 Synergy.
- The battery is sold separately.
Last but not the least; we have the Briggs & Stratton 76160. It is a 60,000-watt home or commercial grade model which is why it is pretty powerful. With its high wattage/power output and GM Vortec 1800 RPM Engine, it is highly ideal even for commercial use.
- The usual Briggs & Stratton Quick Response feature is present as well as the Four Year Limited Warranty including parts and labor for all 4 years. It is a very durable, sturdy and reliable standby generator.
- Rest assured that you are safe during emergencies whatever your purpose of usage is; home or commercial. However, unlike previous standby generators we’ve listed, this model is pretty expensive.
- This is most especially true if you’re tight on budget and don’t want to break the bank. However, it is definitely worth your money due to its sheer power and durability. Your safety is also ensured with the limited temperature rise on its alternator and corrosion-resistant, all-metal enclosures.
- The generator is expensive.
To Top It All Off
Again, there are different types, styles, sizes and power outputs for generators. Depending on your needs, purpose, and budget, the best standby generator for you should always meet those standards.
However, when it comes to factors to consider and product specifications, we find that the above-listed products are among the best options for an ideal standby generator. When buying standby generators, location, size/capacity, noise production, footprint, and fuel source are among the most important factors.
However, if you’re buying a standby generator for your home, installation, and quality could be the most important factors. This is especially because installation costs can get pretty high.
Either way, we wish you luck in your hunt for the best standby generator. We hope you find this article helpful.
Thank you for reading!